Here is her recipe…and my changes in red based on what I had on hand…or forgot.
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour I used white
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts I left these out
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or skim is fine) I used the sweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup honey I used 1/8 cup since my milk was sweetened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (or canola) I used the coconut oil, kind of a pain to mix in since it was solid – but it worked
- 2 large eggs, beaten I used one. Oops.
- 12 oz blueberries I left these out
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a muffin tin with 16 liners. I used 12…and I did 4 of those in greased cups with no liners. I ran out.
Combine the wheat bran, flour, baking soda and baking powder. Stir in coconut and nuts.
In a separate bowl, blend applesauce, almond milk, honey, coconut oil, vanilla and eggs. Add to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Fold in blueberries.
Spoon into paper-lined muffin cups and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
The stats on Skinnytaste say 144 claories. I plugged in my changes and 12 verses 16 and I got about the same They weren’t very sweet – I think the milk wasn’t as sweet as it would need to be to even out as much honey as I omitted. Next time I would add more honey, and I kind of want to tr without the coconut oil. They are a tad greasy in an odd way (only when warm.) Not bad or offensive, but with the applesauce in there I am not convinced the oil is needed.
Bonham is taking bites of mine right now and declared it delicious. High praise from my non-eater.